Shuffle Along, Or the Making of the Musical Sensation of 1921 and All that Followed opens officially at the Music Box Theatre on April 28. The show, which explores the backstory and cultural impact of the titular musical, is directed by George C. Wolfe and features an A-list cast led by six-time Tony winner Audra McDonald. To celebrate the big night, Broadway.com resident artist Justin “Squigs” Robertson created this sketch of the talented cast in action.Towering above are (left to right) Joshua Henry as Noble Sissle, Brandon Victor Dixon as Eubie Blake, McDonald as Lottie Gee, Billy Porter as Aubrey Lyles and Brian Stokes Mitchell as F.E. Miller. Joining them in the bottom left are Brooks Ashmanskas, Adrienne Warren and Amber Iman.Congratulations to the cast of Shuffle Along! From the 63rd Street Music Hall to the Music Box, keep making Broadway tap-happy! © Justin “Squigs” Robertson Shuffle Along View Comments Related Shows About the Artist: With a desire to celebrate the magic of live theater and those who create it, and with a deep reverence for such touchstones as the work of Al Hirschfeld and the wall at Sardi’s, Squigs is happy and grateful to be among those carrying on the traditions where theater and caricature meet. He was born and raised in Oregon, lived in Los Angeles for quite a long time and now calls New York City his home. Show Closed This production ended its run on July 24, 2016
Intertek has teamed up with Cardiff University, the University of South Wales and the University of Edinburgh to conduct a study focused on the implications of misaligned flow on tidal turbines.The study, to be published in Renewable Energy journal, will provide vital information to tidal turbine developers in terms of performance, fatigue and to ensure maximum power output from a turbine.Dr. Paul Evans, Intertek Energy and Water expert, said: “We are fortunate to be able to partner with world-class researchers on this important topic of tidal energy, which is a predictable alternative to relying on fossil fuels and can help reduce the impact of climate change.”Dr. Allan Mason-Jones, co-author and lecturer at Cardiff University, said: “The research and resulting paper demonstrates the critical importance of collaboration between industry and academia. The knowledge gained and shared will be valuable to the growing marine energy industry, both for developers and potential suppliers.”
Holtby moved to Tottenham from Schalke 12 months ago but has so far been unable to hold down a regular place in the starting XI. Holtby played in a variety of positions under Andre Villas-Boas but has only started one game since Tim Sherwood was installed as head coach and now the German wants to leave. Lewis Holtby’s agent expects his client to leave Tottenham before the end of the transfer window. “My feeling is that he will leave but it’s not in our hands at the moment,” Holtby’s agent Marcus Noack told Press Association Sport. “Tottenham have to agree to let him go first. We hope to find a solution in the next couple of days.” Any hopes of Holtby securing a move away from Tottenham appear to have been scuppered by the club’s valuation of the player. Although Spurs only paid £1.25million for the player a year ago, Holtby’s camp claim the north London club want between £8million and £10million for the 23-year-old. “I think it will be a loan because it is difficult for anyone to buy Lewis,” Noack added. Borussia Dortmund enquired about Holtby’s availability earlier this month but Press Association Sport understands last year’s Champions League finalists have since cooled their interest in the midfielder. Schalke, where Holtby spent three and a half years before heading to England, are interested in re-signing the Germany international, but the Bundesliga club may have to sell players – like Arsenal target Julian Draxler – before they can bring any new faces in. Former Germany defender Christoph Metzelder claimed on Twitter that he had seen Holtby in Dusseldorf – near to where Schalke and Dortmund are based – but Spurs insist the player is in London as he is in the squad for Wednesday’s Premier League clash against Manchester City. Press Association Sport understands Holtby would prefer to stay in England, anyway. Fulham have recently been linked with a temporary move for the midfielder. Press Association
Follow Yasmeen on Twitter @YasmeenSerhan Editor’s note: This post has been corrected to reflect the change in the memorial location and that Kyaw is survived by his parents, an older brother and an older sister. An earlier version said Kyaw is survived by his parents and his older brother. The Daily Trojan regrets the error. Those who knew Thu Yain “Roy” Kyaw remember him for his leadership and unwavering friendship. Kyaw, a sophomore from Singapore, was found dead in his apartment Sunday night. He was 22 years old.A student in the Marshall School of Business, Roy came to USC last year to study business administration after spending two years serving in the Singaporean Armed Forces.His brother, Arkar Kyaw, posted a public message to Facebook encouraging those who knew Roy to stay strong and celebrate the time they had with him.“I know it’s a hard time for everyone especially because of how sudden these news are. However, I just want everyone to remember that accidents do happen, and death is as inevitable a part of life as life itself — his departure just came a lot sooner than we expected. He has gone on to a better place now and is resting in peace smiling, because all of you have made his life up to this point worth living! Thank you so much for that,” Arkar wrote.Kevin Cai, a junior majoring in business administration, said he met Roy through the business fraternity, Delta Sigma Pi. Cai said Kyaw was not only a leader in the fraternity, but the backbone of their pledge class.“He was older, but he was super humble,” Cai said. “Within the first week, he became the stabilizing force of our pledge class.”Daniel Yang, Roy’s friend and a member of DSP, said he never forgot his humble beginnings.“He knew his parents sacrificed so much for him to be here at USC and get an American education,” Yang said. “His goal was to eventually go back to Myanmar and really give back to his family and his country.”Though Roy was a business student, he used opportunities given to him to explore other classes outside of the Marshall School. International Relations Professor Steven Lamy said he got to know Roy through his sophomore seminar.During a dinner with a class speaker last week, Lamy said Roy discussed his future aspirations and his native Myanmar.“He wanted to find a position in economic consulting or investment and he wanted eventually to return to Burma, where his family was from, and help it succeed in the global economy,” Lamy said in an email to the Daily Trojan. “Roy wanted to be successful, but he also wanted to make a difference.”Lamy said Roy’s commitment and passion for learning will be missed by all who knew him.“In my class, he was always in the front row taking notes and listening and asking questions,” Lamy said. “He did not spend time on his computer checking emails. He valued the insights he learned from every speaker.”As an international student, Yang said Roy appreciated every opportunity offered at USC.“He didn’t take an education from ’SC for granted,” Yang said. “He completely understood what getting an American education at USC meant.”Regardless of Roy’s future plans, Cai said there was no doubt that he would have been successful.“Everyone knew he was going to succeed,” Cai said. “He was aspiring to go a million different ways, and I’m sure he could have done any of them.”For those who knew him well, the unconfirmed reports of alcohol poisoning as Kyaw’s cause of death were difficult to hear.“He would be the one to make sure that everyone was OK,” Cai said. “He would always be the one to offer to be [the designated driver], so to hear that it’s possible it’s alcohol poisoning is just really hard to believe.”Cai recalled how he and Roy had plans to meet for dinner and Cai considered canceling. Though he was busy, Cai said he was glad he didn’t.“I actually grabbed Burmese food with him and some of our pledge brothers,” Cai said. “This tragedy is just a reminder to be a man of your word. If you mean it when you say, ‘Hey, I miss you’ or ‘Hey, I want to hang out,’ you have to do it.”Yang said the way Roy led his life would be his ultimate legacy.“Roy taught me to make the most out of every moment — not every day, but every single moment,” Yang said. “Now that he’s gone, the lesson never really hit me until now.”Roy is survived by parents, an older brother and an older sister.A memorial service for Roy is scheduled for Monday, Nov. 4 at 8 p.m. in Bovard Auditorium.
Betsson outrides pandemic challenges as regulatory dramas loom July 21, 2020 Related Articles Betsson to appeal ‘hefty’ Spelinspektionen penalty June 12, 2020 Group increases across the board have been reported by Betsson AB in the online gambling organisations latest interim report, covering the period from 1 January – 30 June of this year.Increased efficiency, product upgrades and a systematic following of its “back on track plan,” centred around the four strategic areas of growth in core markets, product and technology, efficiencies and M&A activities temporarily on hold, have been highly praised by the firm.The second quarter, covering the period April-June, saw group revenues increase 14 per cent, hitting the SEK 1.3bn (£116m) mark, as opposed to SEK 1.1bn (£101.5m) for the corresponding period in 2017, 3.7 per cent of which is aligned to the Russian World Cup which began on June 14.Casino revenues increased 16 per cent during Q2, soaring over SEK 1bn in a quarter for the first time, while sportsbook grew 17 per cent. Operating income was also heavily impacted by the footballing showpiece; a 45 per cent growth reaching SEK 300m (£26m), up from 2017’s SEK 207m (£17.8m)This helped the group achieve increases in its figures for the January – June (H1) period, with revenues reaching SEK 2.5bn, (£220.3m), up 12 per cent on the last year’s SEK 2.2bn (£196.4m).Operating income for the period saw a boost of 14 per cent during H1, rising from SEK 448m (£38m) to SEK 512m (£44m) this time around.Praising growth across Western Europe as well as the increased activity during the World Cup, Betsson CEO Pontus Lindwall commented: “ At the core of everything is our company culture and organisation. Betsson is as good as its employees and it has been a pleasure to see the enthusiasm and hard work of the Betssonites during the World Cup. “The third quarter has begun with daily revenues higher than the average daily revenue for the full third quarter last year. The revenue increase is to a large extent a result of activity related to the FIFA World Cup that ended on 15 July 2018 and should not be regarded as guidance for the full third quarter. “We continue to work hard with the ambition to make Betsson’s product offering more competitive and the marketing efforts more efficient. However, it will still take time until we see sustainable improvements.” Andy McCue returns to betting with Betsson AB June 22, 2020 Submit StumbleUpon Share Share
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisToday was a beautiful Memorial Day to honor and pay respect to the men and women who lost their lives for the land we call ‘America.’There wasn’t just men and women on fighting wars on land, but also at sea, that’s why residents of Alpena, organizations, and veterans gathered between the Avenue of Flags to honor those who were lost at sea, tossing a bouquet into Thunder Bay River. If you drive past Thunder Bay River you will see 161 flags waving to remember those who rest in Little Flanders Field. This is the first year the Kiwanis Club Alpena, and the Alpena Boosters Club placed flags to sponsor those who died.Veteran of the U.S. Army, Gerard Eagle said the flags were a true touch to the city of Alpena. After the tossing of the bouquet, there was a rifle salute followed by the playing of the taps.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: Heroes Lost at Sea, memorial dayContinue ReadingPrevious Lemonade For Children With CancerNext Memorial Day Parade Kicks Off Series of Events for Alpena
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisThis Alpena teen is truly on a roll! Rose Jasman just won the Boys and Girls Club of Alpena, Youth of the Year Award and now the 18–year–old is being honored for yet another big award.Jasman will be representing Alpena, and the entire state of Michigan in New Orleans over the summer where she will be accepting the Billy Michal Student Leadership Award from the National World War 2 Museum.The Boys and Girls Club Youth Volunteer Program nominated Jasman for the award. The Alpena High School senior had to write about her experience working within the community and says she’s learned a lot about the place she calls home.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Job Fair Coming to Alpena Community CollegeNext Authorities see spike in identity theft for unemployment insurance benefits
Celtic boss Rodgers: Liverpool sack led to hospital admissionby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveCeltic boss Brendan Rodgers admits his Liverpool sacking led to admission to hospital.The Northern Irishman, now in charge at Celtic, told The Coaches Voice after his sacking he was rushed to hospital having spent time on holiday.Rodgers said: “I went to Spain for a week. Then I came back, and flew to Dubai. Within a couple of days in Dubai, I was rushed into hospital.“I went through all the tests. It was felt that I was having some issues internally, but then they got into the process of what had happened with work, with my life.“They pieced it all together, and it was simply a case of my body being so tense, so tight, from all that had happened in finishing my time at Liverpool.”It reinforced for me that it was time to find a calmness, to re-energise and make sure I was genuinely ready for the next challenge.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government, which has purchased the existing Trans Mountain line and expansion project for $4.5 billion, tasked the energy board with reviewing marine environment impacts and submitting a report by Feb. 22.Energy board spokesman James Stevenson declined comment on Stewart’s remarks but has said previously that the revamped review will be a comprehensive scientific and technical examination of project-related marine shipping.Stewart said Trudeau was the one who brought up Trans Mountain during their first meeting Thursday since Stewart’s election win.“I said, ‘First of all, it’s been a weird year. I was arrested, then I resigned as MP and now I’m mayor, within a period of about six months.’ But my position on that was clear. I’m still very much opposed to this pipeline,” he said. VANCOUVER, B.C. – Vancouver’s incoming mayor says a revamped National Energy Board review of the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion is likely doomed to fail and will land the federal government back in a courtroom.The energy board is reviewing the project’s impacts on the marine environment and Kennedy Stewart says it’s too rushed, including a week-long window for Indigenous groups and others to apply to participate.“I do think the revamped NEB process we’re going through probably is going to fail again. I don’t think giving First Nations a week to submit to a brand new reconciliation process is enough time and that’ll be challenged in court again and rightly so,” he said in an interview. “I could see this being deadlocked like the Mackenzie Valley pipeline for many, many, many years,” he added, referring to a proposed natural gas line through the Northwest Territories that was stalled for decades.Stewart, formerly the New Democrat MP for Burnaby South, was among a group of protesters who were arrested in March while blocking Trans Mountain’s main gate, violating a court order to stay five metres from company work sites. He pleaded guilty to contempt of court and paid a $500 fine.After winning Vancouver’s mayoral race by fewer than 1,000 votes, he will be sworn in on Monday.His opinion on the pipeline expansion hasn’t changed, he said, and he will continue to back the city’s practice of supporting local Indigenous groups in their court challenges by applying to be an intervener.The Tsleil-Waututh and Squamish Nations have traditional territories in the Vancouver area and both have said the new process is repeating the same mistakes and laying the groundwork for a new court challenge.The Federal Court of Appeal struck down the federal government’s approval of the project in August due to inadequate Indigenous consultation and the energy board’s failure to review impacts on the marine environment. “However, I understand my role has changed. Perhaps where my mandate as MP in Burnaby was to stop the pipeline as a top priority, the voters of this city have said your priority is to fix our housing problem.”The pipeline expansion would triple the amount of oil being carried from the Edmonton area to a marine shipping terminal in Burnaby, increasing the number of tankers in Metro Vancouver waters seven-fold.Stewart also said he told Trudeau that if the city takes any action against the project, he will call first to inform him.Trudeau and Alberta Premier Rachel Notley have said the project is in the national interest because Alberta needs to get its oil to markets outside the U.S. where it can fetch higher prices, particularly in Asia.But Stewart said it’s ridiculous that Canada exports oil in the west while importing oil in the east. The country should have a national energy strategy that involves refining products in Canada, particularly in the eastern part of the country, he said.“What ultimately would be the best thing to do is to ship Alberta oil east, make sure there’s guaranteed supplies for existing or new refineries, so Canadians are using Canadian oil,” he said.Trudeau addressed the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade before his meeting with Stewart on Thursday. The prime minister said the court’s decision laid out a road map for his government to proceed with the project.After meeting with Stewart, Trudeau said they agreed to make housing and infrastructure top priorities while diverging on the pipeline expansion.“Obviously there’s issues like TMX where we’re going to disagree, but there’s also an awful lot for us to work on together.”(THE CANADIAN PRESS)
CHETWYND, B.C. – RCMP are currently at the scene of a residence in Chetwynd.According to Cpl. Madonna Saunderson, there is currently an unfolding event with a heavy police presence at a residence in Chetwynd.Saunderson says there are very little details on this incident at this time but she can say that the RCMP were called to the residence at 1:43 a.m. on Thursday morning and that the incident is believed to be isolated to the one specific residence. RCMP will release further details when more information becomes available.