Last Sunday saw Corpus Christi’s annual Tortoise Fair take place. The event, this year attended by thousands of students and residents of Oxford, centres around a thrilling and surprisingly fast paced inter-collegiate tortoise race.Corpus JCR voted to donate all proceeds to Oxford’s Mind Your Head campaign.Worcester College triumphed in this year’s race, with Zoom and Shelly taking first and second place respectively. The duo had previously come second and third last year.“Zoom had a lot of pressure on him with a name like that”, explained one observer, “but he handled it well.”Hopes of a home victory were dashed as the race officials announced Foxe, Corpus’s entrant, had been “disqualified for assaulting another tortoise”.Corpus Christi President, Richard Carwardine, acted as head official and took charge of the proceedings.Worcester’s Tortoise Representative revealed to Cherwell, “Any talk of a steward’s inquiry is just hot air… The competition just wasn’t that good to be honest”.“It’s disappointing that he let his frustrations out in the race”, explained Corpus Tortoise Keeper Arthur Harris of Foxe’s actions. “But hopefully next year it’ll be his year.”Second year lawyer Aled Jones revealed a potential source of Foxe’s problems. “Unfortunately Foxe’s partner Oldham died over the summer”, he explained. “It was terribly sad.”The competition, which some sources have claimed traces its origins back to the 1920s, also saw the debut of Hope and Faith, tortoise siblings of around five years in age. The Oxford-based sisters faced competition from reptiles as old as eighty and based as far away as London.Alex Doody, a first year at Exeter, expressed his admiration for the participants. “They were so quick”, he said. “They were like Tort-athletes… One of them was like Usain Tortoise Bolt!”Corpus Christi college itself was shell-shocked earlier this year when Oldham, the Corpus Tortoise, died in late August.The tortoise had a long battle with ‘fly-strike’, whereby a wound in his carapace became infested with fly eggs and maggots, weakening him severely.The news was broken in an email from the JCR President to all Corpus student. “Oldham, one of our favourite tortoises died over the summer… I don’t really know how to handle the news.“This will be discussed at the first JCR meeting of term and if anyone needs to talk to someone please look towards the peer supporters, who are there for these moments.”
Partnering with another senior player, David Agung Susanto, the duo sealed Indonesia’s victory with a narrow escape from a tie-break thriller against Kenyan pair Ibrahim Kibet Yego and Ismael Changawa Ruwa Mzai, who surprised the crowd by putting up stiff resistance throughout the match. After surrendering the first set 6-7, the Indonesian pair bounced back and sealed the next two sets with 7-6 and 7-6.Junior player Gunawan Trismuwantara managed to secure a 6-4, 6-2 win against Kevin Cheruiyot in the fourth match, thus perfecting Indonesia’s victory. Another junior player, M. Rifqi Fitriadi, however, would still need another chance to prove himself as he spent his time on the bench.“I am proud seeing Gunawan play today [Saturday]. Even though we already led 3-0, he still gave 200 percent on the court. I hope that spirit will be maintained as the Davis Cup format now is world group, not only playing in the Asia and Oceania region,” Christo said.A more competitive atmosphere was felt on the women’s side, where Priska and Janice were the team’s backbone, accompanying senior player Aldila Sutjiadi in the recently concluded Fed Cup Asia Oceania Group I in Dubai, which was held from March 3 to 7. After beating Kenya at the Davis Cup World Group II tennis playoff on Friday and Saturday, the Indonesian men’s team faced their old ghost, namely slow talent regeneration.The Indonesian Tennis Association (Pelti) has been dealing with the issue for years. The women’s side is one step ahead of the men’s thanks to players like Priska Madelyn Nugroho, who won the 2020 Australian Open Junior’s girls doubles, and Janice Tjen.During the matches against Kenya at the outdoor courts of Jakarta’s Gelora Bung Karno sports complex that ended with a 4-0 victory for Indonesia, the country’s Davis Cup team still relied heavily on its ace Christopher “Christo” Rungkat, who is now at position 80 in the ATP world ranking. The Indonesian team’s nonplaying captain, Febi Widhiyanto, deployed Christo in both the singles and doubles, despite the player’s absence from international singles competitions since 2018. Indonesian Fed Cup team captain Deddy Tedjamukti put the juniors on the front line, and that proved fruitful as Janice and Priska delivered with a solid performance.Pelti chief Rildo Ananda Anwar said the association had been working on the regeneration issue by preparing second-tier players to back up the seniors.“We give the opportunity to players to compete abroad to collect points. But here [in Jakarta] we also prepare them by setting up a tennis camp for [Pelti] to observe the development of the junior players,” he said on Saturday.“If they compete in more tournaments, they will get more points. We will keep giving them the opportunity by selecting tournaments that fit their [eligibility]. This is Pelti is working on the sidelines in conducting a development program and giving them the best coaches.”As a senior, Christo, who now focuses on playing doubles only, said his juniors should have their own targets and should be motivated to meet their ATP-ranked competitors from the Southeast Asian region.Right now, the 21-year-old Rifqi only has an ATP doubles ranking, where he stands at world number 1761. In the database of International Tennis Federation (ITF) singles ranking, Rifqi stands at position 2451. The 17-year-old Gunawan, on the other hand, sits at 420th of the ITF junior ranking.“Rifqi, for example, this year should have his own target to break into the top 1000, [while] Gunawan maybe could break into top 200 ITF,” he said.“I see that both Rifqi and Gunawan have potential. They need more exposure to competitions. They should play at least 70 to 80 matches per year.”“They also need to build their physical [strength] so they could play 70 to 80 matches per year.”Aside from the skills and competency, for a tennis player to be able to reach world stage and achievement, strong financial backing is required. Many Indonesian players like Christo have to fly to tournaments abroad on their own expenses.Right now, many local sport associations are deliberating a ‘foster parent’ concept, where an athlete could seek sponsorship from companies on his or her quest to the global arena.Topics :
A Pan-American Health Organisation (PAHO) report has indicated that Member States have met almost all of their health targets of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) but Public Health Minister, Dr George Norton, is saying Guyana is lagging behind the other countries.The report, which was presented to Health Ministers across the Region at the 55th Directing Council of PAHO, shows that the targets related to eradicating extreme poverty and hunger (MDG1), reducing child mortality (MDG4) and ensuring environmental sustainability (MDG7) were all achieved between 1990 and 2015. MDG6 (combating HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases) was partly achieved, and progress was made toward MDG5 (improving maternal mortality), although the goal was not met.Acting Chief of PAHO’s Special Programme on Sustainable Development and Health Equity, Kira Fortune, said “as the result of 15 years of efforts, the countries of the hemisphere significantly improved the health of their populations”.Fortune highlighted that today, people in the Region are living longer, healthier lives, thanks to the MDGs and they are at less risk of dying from malaria, and babies are more likely to survive childbirth and reach five years of age.To promote human development, the world’s nations endorsed the MDGs in 2000 at the United Nations, making a commitment to tackle important issues for the future of humankind, such as the eradication of extreme poverty, environmental conservation, and the protection and promotion of people’s health, among others. One of those goals was to improve maternal health and reduce it by three-quarters between 1990 and 2015.However, Dr Norton stated that Guyana has failed to meet two of its health MDGs – maternal health and neonatal care.“Other countries might have achieved their goals but we have not yet we are getting nearer. We have managed to reduce infant mortality from 37 incidences to seven. And we plan on reducing it further. We might be struggling with maternal deaths but our fingers are crossed and we are actively addressing it,” he said.As of December 30 2015, Guyana had recorded 17 maternal deaths. However, the maternal mortality ratio has decreased from 270 per cent in 1990 to 86 per cent in 2012. Therefore, in order to achieve its target, Guyana would have to reduce its maternal mortality rate to 67.5 per cent by the end of 2016.
Goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere had a groin injury in Anaheim’s last trip to the Shark Tank on Dec. 26, which helped San Jose close a 12-point gap in the division to three. The Ducks won just twice in the 11 games Giguere missed, but have won three of four since his return. He had 34 saves against the Sharks, allowing a pair of third-period goals to Jonathan Cheechoo that helped make the final margin respectable for San Jose. Mike Grier and Patrick Marleau also scored for the Sharks, who allowed the most goals they had all season at home. San Jose has won just once in its last five games. The Ducks got off to a fast start when Moen and Samuel Pahlsson teamed up midway through the first period to help Anaheim score twice in less than a minute. After Pahlsson won a faceoff in the defensive zone from Marcel Goc, Moen took the puck up ice and passed to himself off the boards to get past Marc-Edouard Vlasic and beat Vesa Toskala with a wrist shot. SAN JOSE – Travis Moen’s second goal capped a four-goal second period, and the Ducks won the front half of a key home-and-home series with the San Jose Sharks 7-4 on Tuesday night. The Sharks hoped to sweep the two games to move into first place in the Pacific Division, but now need a victory tonight in Anaheim just to remain within three points of the Ducks. There was a lot more distance between the teams in the first two periods as the Ducks scored two goals within 32 seconds in the opening period and used the four-goal barrage in the second to take a 6-1 lead. Rob Niedermayer had a goal and two assists and Chris Pronger also assisted on two goals for the Ducks, who had their full roster healthy for the first time since December. Pahlsson beat Toskala just 32 seconds later, using a screen by Moen to score on a wrist shot that made it 2-0 at the 13:48 mark. Grier’s goal late in the first period made it close for a while, but Anaheim broke it open in a dominating second period. About the only positive for Sharks fans in the period came when Scott Parker landed a good shot during a fight with George Parros. But less than two minutes after the players were penalized for fighting, Andy McDonald one-timed a cross-ice pass from Chris Kunitz to make it 3-1. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
TORONTO – Businesses that illegally sell recreational marijuana after the government of Ontario sets up its own shops could be fined up to $1 million under legislation tabled Wednesday.One of the main aspects of the proposed law, which would take effect once the federal government makes the drug legal in July 2018, is to crack down on the array of illegal dispensaries, Attorney General Yasir Naqvi said.“We are going to work very hard towards that,” he said. “We have put very strict penalties in that regards….We feel very comfortable that the regime that we will put in place will be a significant deterrent for these illegal businesses.”The bill also contains new penalties for people that are convicted of illegally selling or distributing cannabis, including fines of up to $250,000 and/or jail of up to two years less a day.For every day those people or businesses continue to sell marijuana after being convicted the first time, they will be subject to further fines of up to $100,000 and $500,000, respectively.The law would also allow police to immediately close premises they suspect are being used for the illegal sale or distribution of marijuana.Ontario was the first province to announce its detailed marijuana plan last month, which includes the sale of the drug in up to 150 stores run by the Liquor Control Board of Ontario.They are known in the legislation as the Ontario Cannabis Retail Corp., though Naqvi admitted the name might be jazzed up a little.“That is the legal name of that company,” he said. “There will be branding that we’ll do, so that’s to come, and sort of a visual logo.”Those stores will only sell to people 19 and older, a minimum age that would also apply to possession, home growing and use of marijuana.People under 19 caught using, growing or possessing weed could be fined up to $200, or a court could refer them instead to an educational or prevention program.“I want to be very clear that there will be no criminal record, it’s under a provincial offence…our purpose is not to punish our youth but to educate our youth,” he said.Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne said ahead of the bill’s introduction that an important part of the Liberal government’s plan is shutting down the current dispensaries.“I think that there needs to be a regulation of cannabis and we have a history in this province of regulation of alcohol and I think that doing this in a safe, responsible way means that we put some parameters around the distribution of this substance,” she said.“As resources are identified to deal with enforcement and education we recognize that municipalities need to have a substantial share of that because they are actually on the ground going to be doing enforcement.”Some Ontario municipalities have expressed concern that they will have to foot the enforcement bills for shutting down marijuana dispensaries.Toronto Mayor John Tory said Wednesday he is “looking forward” to getting money to help with that, because it’s about the rule of law.“These shops, to the best of my knowledge, are illegal, have always been illegal, will continue to be illegal and are not contemplated as being part of the regime going forward,” he said.“We want to be able to keep children and families and neighbourhoods and schools and retail strips safe and stable and that we need to be able to do that so it isn’t kind of a Wild West environment where people can just go out and set up any kind of a shop they want. I don’t think anybody really supports that except perhaps the people that are operating the shops.”The bill also includes a ban on consumption in public spaces or workplaces. But medicinal marijuana will be regulated differently, banned only where tobacco smoking is currently prohibited, such as enclosed public places.The government has been coy on potential pricing, saying decisions will be made after more details come from the federal government, but that the aim is stay away from overly expensive prices that fuel illegal sales.“This actually isn’t about money, from my perspective,” Wynne said. “This is about making sure that a substance that needs to be regulated is regulated in a safe and responsible way.”Municipalities in Ontario will find out in the coming weeks where the government wants to locate the first batch of cannabis stores, but the finance minister has said none will be near schools.