News UpdatesVertical Reservation For OBC And EWS Categories Has Been Restored, NLU Delhi Informs Delhi HC Karan Tripathi12 July 2020 10:54 PMShare This – xThe National Law University, Delhi, has told the Delhi High Court that it has restored the vertical reservation for OBC and EWS categories in its B.A. LL.B and LL.M programmes by making a correction in its revised admission notification.The information about the said restoration was given through an affidavit before the Division Bench of Justice Hima Kohli and Justice Subramonium Prasad. The…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginThe National Law University, Delhi, has told the Delhi High Court that it has restored the vertical reservation for OBC and EWS categories in its B.A. LL.B and LL.M programmes by making a correction in its revised admission notification.The information about the said restoration was given through an affidavit before the Division Bench of Justice Hima Kohli and Justice Subramonium Prasad. The said restoration of vertical reservation has been done in pursuance of the court’s last order wherein the court had clarified that its order dated June 29 was only restricted to domicile reservation and had nothing to do with vertical reservations.The court had further highlighted that the University had misinterpreted the court’s order as the same had nothing to do with the vertical reservation for OBC and EWS categories and was only restricted to 50% domicile reservation. The order has come in an application moved by Delhi Government challenging the admission notification issued by the National Law University, Delhi, so far as it eliminates vertical reservation for Other Backward Classes (OBC) and Economically Weaker Section (EWS) categories. Moved as an application in a pending writ petition titled Balvinder Sangwan v. State of NCT of Delhi, it sought a clarification from the Court as to whether the maintenance of status quo ante, as mentioned in the order dated June 29, refers to only 50% domicile reservation and not to the vertical reservation for OBC and EWS categories.The Delhi Government had submitted that the decision of the University to eliminate 22% reservation for OBC and 10% reservation for EWS in its Admission Notification released on June 30 is not only the incorrect interpretation of the court’s order dated June 29, but it also goes against the University’s constitutional and statutory obligations. It was submitted that the present writ petition only concerned itself with the 50% domicile reservation, and had nothing to do with the vertical reservation for OBC and EWS categories. It was argued in the application that the University is statutorily bound to provide vertical reservation to OBC under Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Admission) Act, 2006. In addition to this, the application also challenged the decision of the University to not to provide hostel accommodation to LL.M and PhD students. It says:’Now, in terms of the Admission Notification dated 30.06.2020, only a total of 415 students (plus detainees and contingency if any) will have to be accommodated in the Hostels, as against provision for 480 accommodations’, the application statedIt was the case of the Delhi Government that by its revised admission notification, the University is implicitly discouraging applications from candidates who may hail from OBC or EWS sections of society. Therefore, the Delhi Government wanted the court to stay the operation of the revised admission notification dated 30/06/20 till the final disposal of the present application. The application has been moved in the pending writ petition titled Balvinder Sangwan v. State of NCT of Delhi, wherein the Petitioner is being represented by Advocate Nipun Saxena.Subscribe to LiveLaw, enjoy Ad free version and other unlimited features, just INR 599 Click here to Subscribe. All payment options available.loading….Next Story
A ‘DISTRAUGHT’ James Anderson apologised to his England team-mates after bowling only four overs because of a calf injury on day one of the opening Ashes Test against Australia, says Stuart Broad.Anderson, 37, is awaiting the results of a scan after feeling tightness in his calf while bowling at Edgbaston. He tore the same right calf playing for Lancashire last month.“He feels like he has let the bowling group down, but he hasn’t,” said Broad, who took 5-86.“He is a bit quiet and a bit frustrated,” he told BBC Radio 5 Live.“He came up to the bowlers and said sorry, but there is nothing to be sorry about.“We don’t know the full extent yet. All we can hope is the news is better than we expect.”England ended the first day on 10-0, trailing by 274 after Steve Smith’s stunning 144 helped Australia recover from 122-8 to make 284.Anderson, England’s all-time leading Test wicket-taker, managed to field for most of the rest of the first session after injuring his calf, but left the ground at lunch.After suffering the tear on July 2, he missed Lancashire’s next two County Championship matches and England’s 143-run win against Ireland last week, with the Ashes marking his return to action. It is currently not known if it is a recurrence of the same injury.Broad bowled 22.4 overs yesterday, Chris Woakes 21, Ben Stokes 18 and off-spinner Moeen Ali 13.Broad added: “If Jimmy isn’t going to be able to bowl again in the match then Moeen will be our key man. He bowled beautifully ….”Although England have pace bowlers in reserve – Jofra Archer, Sam Curran and Olly Stone were in the squad for this match – the uncapped Archer is only just returning from a side injury and will play for Sussex second XI next week in order to prove his fitness.Mark Wood is also out for a lengthy period with a side injury.The second Test of the five-match series starts on August 14 at Lord’s.MASSIVE TURNING POINT IN THE SERIESEx-England captain Michael Vaughan: “The Anderson injury is a massive turning point in this series. It looks like he won’t be available for a few weeks.“In hindsight, maybe Jimmy should have played last week to see if his legs could stand up to a Test match.”BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew: “It is massive blow to England. Jimmy Anderson should have played last week. For all the bowling in the nets, it doesn’t replicate a game.”Former Australia bowler Glenn McGrath: “When you’ve got an experienced bowler, one of the best of all-time – and in home conditions – there is no-one better in the world. It’s a huge blow.” (BBC Sport)
NEW YORK – Emmy and Golden Globe nominated American/Jamaican actress Kerry Washington will be honored with an ‘Artistic Achievement Award’ at Jamaica’s 57th Independence Black Tie Gala, slated for the Hilton Westchester Hotel, Rye, New York on August 10, 2019.Daughter of Jamaican motherBorn in New York City to parents Valerie (Moss) from St. Elizabeth, Jamaica and Earl Washington, from South Carolina.Kerry’s career took flight in 2004 when she appeared as Della Bea Robinson, the wife of musician Ray Charles, in the biopic Ray. She won “Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture” for Ray at the NAACP Image Awards in 2005.Washington is best known for her portrayal of Olivia Pope in the ABC TV drama ‘Scandal’ – that has earned her several Emmy, Screen Actors Guild (SAG) and Golden Globe nominations – and for her portrayal of lawyer/academic Anita Hill in the 2016 HBO film ‘Confirmation,’ which she executive produced under the banner of her production company Simpson Street.In 2018, Washington starred on Broadway in ‘American Son,’ which has since been shot as a movie and will premiere on Netflix in Fall of 2019. Washington serves as executive producer.She also recently appeared in ABC’s live presentation of ‘The Jeffersons’ as Helen Willis alongside Wanda Sykes, Will Ferrell and Jamie Foxx and is currently in production on ‘Little Fires Everywhere’ for Hulu, which she and Reese Witherspoon both executive produce and star in.“We are extremely proud to honor the talented Kerry Washington at our Jamaica Independence Gala” said event Chairman/Producer Sephron Mair.“Kerry is an outstanding actress and movie director and is the first woman of color to headline a network TV drama since 1974, when she starred in Scandal. In 2013 she was ranked #2 on the 100 Most Beautiful People list by People Magazine” he added.The Black Tie Gala – Jamaica’s marquee Independence celebration in New York – is being held under the distinguish patronage of the Minister of Tourism, the Hon Edmund Bartlett, who will bring greeting on behalf of Jamaica.Also in attendance and acting as ‘Brand Ambassador’ will be the Hon Lisa Hanna, MP and 1993 Miss World winner.The Keynote Address will be delivered by United States Federal Judge, the Hon. Norman Hemming. The event will be attended by over 1,000 celebrants under the theme ‘Celebrating Brand Jamaica.’Part proceeds from the Gala will be donated to Food for the Poor, Jamaica (FFP), the largest charity organization in Jamaica and Food For The Poor Inc., located in Florida, the largest international relief and development organization in the United States.