By Hoosier Ag Today – Mar 14, 2017 Sales of farm equipment posted an increase in February, according to the Association of Equipment Manufacture’s monthly report on sales. For February 2017, the report says tractor sales in the United States were 13 percent higher compared to February of last year. For the two months in 2017, a total of 22,400 tractors were sold which compares to 21,300 sold through February 2016, representing a 5 percent increase for the year.For the month, two-wheel drive smaller tractors, under 40 horsepower, were up 22 percent from last year, while 40 and under 100 horsepower tractor sales were down 3 percent. Sales of two-wheel drive 100 plus horsepower tractors were up 17 percent, while four-wheel drive tractors were down 25 percent. Combine sales were up 29 percent for the month. Sales of combines for the year totaled 415, a decrease of 29 percent from 2016.Source: NAFB News Service Previous articleRyan Martin’s Indiana Ag Forecast for March 15, 2017Next articleStudy Shows Crop Insurance Firms’ Returns Have Decreased Hoosier Ag Today Farm Equipment Sales Post February Increase SHARE Facebook Twitter Home Indiana Agriculture News Farm Equipment Sales Post February Increase Facebook Twitter SHARE
Linkedin Print A YOUNG Limerick man who ransacked a parked car last August, broke in to the Holy Rosary Parish Centre and took a ceiling projector in October, broke in to a house on the Ennis Road and was found in the kitchen by the home owner, stole the keys of an Ennis Road newsagents a few hours later, committed a burglary a week later and caused €650 worth of criminal damage to four parked cars at a city centre car facility, has been jailed for 16 months and has had a further four month suspended sentence activated by the court.22-year-old Cian O’Donnell with an address at Creagh Ave, Killeely, was arrested and charged with a plethora of offences and had been released on bail.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Judge Eugene O’Kelly was told at Limerick District Court that all of the offences before the court for finalisation, were committed while the 22-year-old was on bail.In February 2013, O’Donnell was given two four month prison sentences that were suspended for a period of 18 months.Before sentencing Cian O’Donnell, who had pleaded guilty to all matters before the court, Judge O’Kelly commented at his surprise that having imposed a six month prison sentence in February of this year for a number of offences, he was alarmed to learn that the 22-year-old was released from custody after just six days.“What is the point in sentencing someone to six months in prison for them only to be released six days later. What is the point in that?,” he questioned.Defence solicitor John Devane said that his client had been on what is known at temporary release from prison and that it was an administrative matter with the prison.Outlining the difficulties his client had, Mr Devane said that the “main and sole problem of Cian O’Donnell is his addiction to alcohol.“I have been a close family friend for some 30 years and this young man comes from a respectable background and has family involved in nursing, teaching and other professions.”Mr Devane added that the Cian O’Donnell’s grandfather died 12 months ago and he had been “a particularly steadying influence on his life. He wouldn’t have allowed Cian to get into trouble as he brought him fishing and to rugby matches as well as many other activities to fill his day.“We have sought help in the past for his addiction but we will be putting a plan inn place to make sure he receives the correct type of counselling and support for his addiction.Judge O’Kelly activated the four month suspended sentence and imposed a total of 16 months in prison for all other matters. Facebook Twitter NewsCrime & Court20 months for 22-year-old’s crime spreeBy Staff Reporter – April 8, 2014 951 Advertisement Email WhatsApp Previous articleSearch to resume for missing county Limerick womanNext articleLotto luck in County Limerick Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie
“Refecting upon my first year as dean of the Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS), I can’t deny that it’s been a year of surprises. Good ones—and often incredibly great ones,” writes Cherry A. Murray.Cooking up a course … A general education course on science and cooking, first thought up in 2008, has become an international phenomenon. Seven hundred students showed up on the first day in hope of grabbing one of the coveted 300 seats. Lines snaked around the Science Center and onlookers wondered if a rock band was in town. “60 Minutes” visited campus to shoot a segment on innovations in the culinary arts.Flying high … Thanks to a $10 million National Science Foundation Expeditions in Computing Grant, “Robobees” (or Micro Air Vehicles) have taken off. One day, mechanical fliers may perform everything from pollination to even earthquake rescue missions. The project involves faculty and students throughout SEAS, departments in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, the Wyss Institute, and nearby sister institutions in academia and industry partners.Engineering innovation … With help from programs and courses dedicated to fostering innovation, a team of students created a soccer ball that, when kicked, charges a battery. Another group programmed a mobile app that connects the campus with surrounding businesses and events. The sOccket ball won a breakthrough award from Popular Mechanics and the app was featured as a lead story in the Wall Street Journal. Moreover, events like the CS50 Fair and the newly created Laboratory at Harvard brought thousands of Harvard community members together to see the results of hands-on learning first-hand.Getting the call … I had my own personal surprise when I received a phone call from the White House requesting my participation on the National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling. As I told a group of Harvard College admissions recruiters, being called by the President of the United States to serve as an expert is one of the fantastic things you get to do as a dean of engineering at Harvard.As we think about how we want to best present ourselves to the world, being a place that offers surprising connections, conducts cross-cutting research that makes people stop and wonder, and offers courses that makes engineering “cool” and relevant for everyone may be right on target.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
“There are many supermarkets that sell paniki. We have no difficulty in purchasing it,” Arie Kewok, a fan of bat dishes said on Wednesday. Read also: ‘Paniki’ panic: Manado restaurants take bat stew off menu – for nowManado Bahu Freshmart supervisor Henny Tendean said the government had yet to prohibit the sale of bat meat.“Moreover, we still receive demand from the public. I guess they are not afraid of the coronavirus, which is suspected to have originated in paniki,” she said. Despite the increasing number of deaths linked to the coronavirus disease COVID-19, supermarkets in Manado are still selling paniki (bat meat).Local people continue to seek out the bat meat in supermarkets for dinner or parties. Nevertheless, sales of bat meat have decreased significantly since the coronavirus outbreak.“The sales have decreased by 50 percent since the start of February. Local paniki suppliers are having difficulty in obtaining the bat meat. We sell it at a cheap price, Rp 10,500 [77 US cents] per kilogram.” Rizky of Manado Transmart also reported a similar situation.“We’ve only had a few buyers since the coronavirus broke out. We only sell paniki to clear out our stock. If our stock runs out we will stop selling the bat meat because Transmart has stopped selling paniki in its stores nationwide,” he said. (dpk)Topics :
Civilian casualties Armenia has recorded the deaths of 104 soldiers and 13 civilians. Azerbaijan has not reported any military casualties but said 19 civilians were killed after Armenian shelling. Karabakh’s declaration of independence from Azerbaijan sparked a war in the early 1990s that claimed 30,000 lives, but it is still not recognized as independent by any country, including Armenia.Armenia and Karabakh declared martial law and military mobilization Sunday, while Azerbaijan imposed military rule and a curfew in large cities.Talks to resolve the conflict have largely stalled since a 1994 ceasefire agreement. Armenian and Azerbaijani forces have intensified their shelling as French President Emmanuel Macron said jihadist militants had been deployed to Nagorny Karabakh in a “serious” new development.The West and Moscow renewed calls to halt several days of fighting over the disputed Nagorny Karabakh region that has left more than 130 dead and threatened to draw in regional powers Turkey and Russia.In a joint appeal on Thursday, Russian President Vladimir Putin, US President Donald Trump and Macron urged the two sides to return to negotiations aimed at resolving their longstanding territorial dispute. In Martuni, a small town in Karabakh around 25 kilometers (15 miles) from the front line, residents took refuge in cellars as heavy shelling by Azerbaijan killed four civilians and wounded 11.Artak Aloyan, a 54-year-old construction worker sheltering in his basement with an elderly neighbor, vowed to stay despite the worst clashes the contested region has seen for years.”I built this house with my own hands. I will not go anywhere, that’s that,” he told AFP after a rocket attack. “I will die here in the last battle.” Topics : ‘Crushing strikes’ The rival Caucasus nations have been locked in a bitter stalemate over Karabakh since the collapse of the Soviet Union when the ethnic Armenian region broke away from Azerbaijan.In the fiercest clashes in years, 136 people have been confirmed dead in fighting that has raged for five days.The Armenian defense ministry said fighting had intensified and its troops had repelled Azerbaijani attacks, downing helicopters and destroying drones and armored vehicles.It said Azerbaijani forces had fired on two villages inside Armenia, close to Karabakh, killing one civilian. Armenian Deputy Prime Minister Tigran Avinyan said that 1,280 Azerbaijani troops had been killed and 2,700 wounded since Sunday, with both sides making claims of inflicting heavy casualties.Azerbaijan’s defense ministry said its forces had carried out “crushing artillery strikes” on Armenian troops. It denied claims that one of its helicopters was shot down and had crashed in Iran.The two sides have accused each other of shelling civilian areas and ignored repeated calls from international leaders to halt the fighting. Putin, Macron and Trump called for an “immediate cessation of hostilities” and urged the warring sides to commit to talks. ‘Foreign fighters’Yerevan is in a military alliance of ex-Soviet countries led by Moscow and has accused Turkey of dispatching mercenaries from northern Syria to bolster Azerbaijan’s forces in the Karabakh conflict.It also claimed earlier this week that a Turkish F-16 fighter jet flying in support of Baku’s forces had downed an Armenian SU-25 warplane, but Ankara and Baku denied the claim.Pashinyan reiterated claims that mercenaries had joined the conflict, saying Azerbaijan and Turkey were fighting “with the help and involvement of foreign terrorist fighters”.”This terrorism equally threatens the United States, Iran, Russia, and France,” he added.His calls were echoed by Macron, who earlier said intelligence reports had established that 300 Syrian fighters drawn from “jihadist groups” from the Syrian city of Aleppo had passed through Turkey en route for Azerbaijan.The French president said that a “red line has been crossed, which is unacceptable” and demanded an explanation from Ankara. Azerbaijan’s ally, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, has signaled his country’s full backing for Baku’s military and on Thursday called for Armenian troops to leave Karabakh. Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan and Azerbaijani leader Ilham Aliyev have both rejected the idea of holding talks, with the Armenian leader stating: “Nagorno-Karabakh cannot disarm, because it would lead to genocide.””The people who live there face an existential threat,” Pashinyan told French newspaper Le Figaro.But Russia suggested it was making progress in diplomatic efforts with Turkey, a firm supporter of Azerbaijan in the conflict.It said Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu had confirmed they were ready for “close coordination” to stabilize the situation.
The action is coming fast and heavy.A bettor in New Jersey used his mobile app to win $325,000 on a $500,000 wager on Boston to win the World Series. Another DraftKings bettor hit a longshot money line parlay on longshots Oregon State and Kansas to collect $4,313 on his $50 bet.Many others, surely, will be scrambling to pay the rent next month after their can’t-miss bets somehow missed.For better or worse, sports betting is here to stay. Bettors are crowding into books in the six states where sports betting is now legal, and other states are lining up to open their markets to wagers.And as it spreads nationwide, sports betting is changing the way America’s biggest sports approach the game.The NHL this week announced a deal with casino giant MGM Resorts International that officially ties the league to a gambling company. That follows a similar deal MGM made earlier with the NBA.It’s only a matter of time before the NFL joins in to get a piece of the pie, and baseball wants its share, too.Meanwhile, regulators in Nevada announced Tuesday that sports books took in a record handle — and had record profits — in September as the stigma that once haunted sports betting fades into the background.“Our ticket count is through the roof,” said Jimmy Vaccaro, the longtime oddsmaker at the sports book at the South Point in Las Vegas. “It’s driven with new people who are playing. The same old people are there each week and now it’s the recreational guys showing up.”Those running America’s sports leagues are taking notice. There’s money to be made, and they’re wasting no time in going after it.A top Major League Baseball executive said earlier this month the league wants a 0.25 percent cut of betting handles in the spirit of “fairness” because it supplies the games bettors wager on.And the NFL — which was so concerned about betting a few years ago that it wouldn’t allow Tony Romo to host a fantasy sports conference in a casino — is now trying to figure out how to maximize betting revenues for its teams.How quickly things have changed since the Supreme Court decision in May opened the floodgates to nationwide betting.There’s no more moral indignation from the leagues. No more hand wringing about possible betting scandals.Just a mad dash to get a piece of the action in a market that will be worth billions of dollars.Fortunately, there’s enough money to make everyone happy in the end. The bookies are plenty sharp and the bettors plenty gullible, a combination that will lead to riches in the industry.Is it all good? No, because there is a cost associated with sports betting just as there is with any other vice that separates people from their money.Expect plenty of stories about bad beats and chasing money long since gone. Families will break up, and people will become homeless because a gambling addiction can be ruinous.The bottom line is there aren’t many who can beat the bookies, at least in the long term. The bettor who won a half million on the Red Sox will find that out, as will the longshot bettor who thinks the next parlay will finally be the one he wins.With the sports books pocketing, for the most part, a 10 percent vig (the house edge) on each bet, a bettor has to win 52.4 percent of the time just to break even. It sounds easy enough, but Las Vegas is filled with sordid tales of those who went bankrupt or worse trying to beat the bookies.It’s an adult activity that should be enjoyed in moderation. Betting the mortgage never works, and there is no such thing as a sure thing.But sports betting is here, and it’s here to stay. Like casino gambling did when it expanded beyond Nevada in the 1980s, it will become a part of the fabric of everyday society.Don’t expect any point shaving scandals to suddenly pop up and ruin that. It’s in the best interest of both the bookies and the leagues to keep their sports on the up and up, and they will.In the end, the leagues will not only survive the sports betting they feared for so many years, but thrive.Interesting how quickly they’ve decided sports betting isn’t so bad after all.___Tim Dahlberg is a national sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at [email protected] or http://twitter.com/timdahlberg This Aug. 1, 2018 photo shows gamblers placing bets in the sports betting lounge at Harrah’s casino in Atlantic City N.J. On Oct. 30, 2018, (AP Photo/Wayne Parry)