Organisation Follow the news on Belgium News Receive email alerts to go further Ten RSF recommendations for the European Union News May 26, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Court rules that Flemish monthly’s cartoon defamed Belgian industrialist BelgiumEurope – Central Asia December 2, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information RSF_en Use the Digital Services Act to make democracy prevail over platform interests, RSF tells EU June 2, 2021 Find out more News BelgiumEurope – Central Asia November 23, 2020 Find out more News Reporters Without Borders condemns a Brussels court’s decision ordering the Flemish-language monthly MO Magazine to pay Belgian industrialist Georges Forrest 1 euro in symbolic damages because of a cover cartoon showing him in the kind of leopard-skin hat worn by the late Zairean dictator Mobuto Sese-Seko and an accompanying headline saying “Georges Forrest: Congo’s king of copper.”The cover appeared on the March 2006 issue, which had a story by investigative reporter John Vandaele about the Democratic Republic of Congo (as Zaire is now called) entitled “Congo wastes the family jewels.” It analysed the country’s economic difficulties and the impact of several major contracts it signed with Forrest and other industrialists prior to the 2006 elections.Forrest sued Vandaele and MO Magazine for 100,000 euros, reducing the amount of damages a few weeks later to 50,000 euros.In a decision handed down on 25 April, the court rejected the lawsuit against Vandaele, ruling that he respected journalistic ethics. But it ordered Wereldmediahuis, the company that publishes MO Magazine, to pay 1 euro in damages because of the cartoon on the grounds that it was “pointlessly damaging, insulting and defamatory.”“By convicting MO Magazine because of a cartoon, the court has set a disturbing precedent that Forrest or others could use in the future to sue anyone because of criticism they considered insulting or defamatory,” Reporters Without Borders said.“By definition, a cartoon is provocative and exaggerated, but it is a form of journalism that must with protected with the same determination and vigilance as any other form of expression,” the press freedom organisation added. RSF and 60 other organisations call for an EU anti-SLAPP directive
Comment Metro Sport ReporterFriday 9 Oct 2020 7:50 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link5.8kShares Solskjaer should have gone for Partey, says Merson (Picture: Getty Images)Their top-four rivals Arsenal made a late push to sign Partey from Atletico Madrid as they activated his £45m release clause, and Gunners legend Merson is unsure why United, or even Manchester City didn’t attempt to bring in the Ghana international.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTHe told the Daily Star: ‘I like where Arsenal are going on the pitch. Mikel Arteta is doing really well. And Partey is an unbelievable signing.‘I don’t know why Manchester United or even Manchester City didn’t go for him. He’s better than what they’ve got.’More: Manchester United FCRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseEx-Man Utd coach blasts Ed Woodward for two key transfer errorsUnited have struggled to click into gear so far this season, losing two out of their first three Premier League games.Jose Mourinho returned to Old Trafford to inflict a humiliating 6-1 defeat on his former club last weekend.Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side will get the chance to bounce back when they face Newcastle United at St James’ Park after the international break.MORE: Manchester United defender Eric Bailly allays injury concerns after he was substituted off for Ivory CoastMORE: Why Edinson Cavani snubbed Real Madrid and Juventus for Manchester UnitedFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and InstagramFor more stories like this, check our sport page The Gunners paid Partey’s £45 million release clause (Picture: Getty Images)Paul Merson admits he is unsure why Manchester United didn’t go in for Arsenal’s Thomas Partey on deadline day as the midfielder is superior to their current options.The Red Devils had a relatively quiet window compared to their rivals in the Premier League, as they missed out on top target Jadon Sancho.However, United did bring in £40 million midfielder Donny van de Beek, and on deadline day sealed deals for Edinson Cavani, Alex Telles and youngsters Facundo Pellestri and Amad Diallo, with the latter set to arrive in January in a deal rising to £37m. Advertisement Paul Merson claims Manchester United should have signed Arsenal’s Thomas Partey Advertisement
Cheryl A. Gehring, age 66 of Oldenburg, died Thursday, April 4, 2019 at Christ Hospital in Cincinnati. Born February 16, 1953 in Batesville, she is the daughter of Marie (Nee: Miller) and Aaron Zinser. She married Thomas Gehring June 23, 1973 at St. Paul’s Church in New Alsace, Indiana. Cheryl spent her working career in banking. Out of high school she worked three years at People’s Bank and Trust in Sunman, 15 years at People’s Trust in Oldenburg and 25 years at PNC Bank in Batesville.A people person, her favorite part of her job was working with the public. She took pride in keeping her flower beds around the yard looking their best and each year she and Tom put out a large vegetable garden, canning much of it to enjoy over the winter. In her free time she liked making crafts and her family teased that in later years she watched an awful lot of the Game Show Network. Her greatest passion was her grandchildren and spending time with them.She is survived by her husband Tom; daughter Christina (Shawn) Merritt of Lewisburg, Pennsylvania; son David (Kendra) Gehring of Utica, Kentucky; sisters Pat Koral, Barbara Burns, both of Cincinnati, Carol Gehring of Oldenburg and grandchildren Alexis Gehring, Isabelle Gehring, Addison Merritt and Evan Merritt. She is preceded in death by her parents.Visitation is Tuesday, April 9th, from 4 – 7 p.m. at the Weigel Funeral Home. Funeral services are 10 a.m. Wednesday, April 10th, at the Srs. of St. Francis Convent Chapel due to ongoing renovations at Holy Family Church. Rev. David Kobak O.F.M. will officiate with burial in the church cemetery. The family requests memorials to the Eagle Fire Company or the Holy Family Capital Improvement Fund. For online condolences go to www.weigelfh.com.