Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A Lloyd Harbor village police officer accused of attacking a 64-year-old man in Massapequa last month remains on active duty while his case is pending in Nassau County criminal court, authorities said.Dennis Guariglia pleaded not guilty Wednesday at First District Court in Hempstead to harassment, a violation punishable by up to 15 days in jail, one year of probation and a $250 fine. The 35-year-old Kings Park man surrendered to Nassau police, who issued him a summons on April 22, court records show.“Due to the fact that it was a violation, he is still on active duty,” Lloyd Harbor Village Police Chief Charles Flynn told the Press. He confirmed that the department, which has a staff of about 13, is conducting an internal investigation, but declined further comment.Nassau police said in court documents that Guariglia was off-duty, driving his Jeep Grand Cherokee on Veterans Boulevard near the Long Island Rail Road station when he honked at Nicholas Caccavale, got out of his SUV, flashed his badge and pushed him at 12:23 a.m. April 5.Caccavale told investigators that he fell to the ground, hit his head and broke his glasses. He was treated at a local hospital for contusions to the back of his head and arm. His friend and girlfriend who witnessed the altercation confirmed his account to police, according to their statements.“I left the scene before police responded believing the incident was over,” Guariglia told a Seventh Squad detective. He admitted to Nassau police that he pushed Caccavale, but said that he did not see the victim fall.Caccavale and his friends disagreed with Guariglia’s account of what sparked the confrontation and who was the aggressor.Guariglia alleged that he honked twice at Caccavale for him and his friend to move out of his way, that one of them gave the officer the middle finger and the officer heard a thump as he drove passed, according to the officer’s statement. The officer said in the documents that when he got out of the truck, Caccavale “got up close to me,” smelled of alcohol and “was acting very aggressive.”A witness recalled Caccavale asking “what is he beeping at?” Caccavale, who turns 65 next week, said that Guariglia “called the victim a ‘retard’” before shoving him, according to the documents.Guariglia said in his statement that an LIRR worker “had to physically hold back the guy.” Caccavale’s girlfriend told police that the man was holding back Guariglia, not Caccavale. She added that when she saw her boyfriend on the ground with Guariglia standing over him, “it looked like he was going to hit Nicholas again,” according to her statement.Guariglia was released without bail after Judge Joy Watson issued a order of protection requiring Guariglia stay away from Caccavale. Guariglia is due back in court May 19. He earned $168,076 last year, records show.
“Nah,” said George, who will try to bounce back from Thursday’s rusty performance when the Clippers host the Minnesota Timberwolves on Saturday (12:30 p.m., Fox Sports Prime Ticket).“Fact of the matter is I didn’t deserve to be an All-Star, I didn’t play enough games and I wasn’t out there enough. Honestly, it’s nice to have three extra days, I’ll take it with a smile on my face, root Kawhi on from wherever beach we decide to go.”George has played in only 27 of the Clippers’ 48 games, having missed the first 11 this season while he was rehabbing from offseason surgeries to both shoulders. More recently, he missed 10 of 11 with an ailing hamstring.“He clearly is an All-Star player, we all know that,” Clippers coach Doc Rivers said. “But when you don’t play games, you don’t make the All-Star team. I’ve always thought that was the right thing to do, it gives someone else a chance.“Paul will be back on next year if he’s healthy.” “I tried to emulate him in the park, and he was my favorite player growing up. So he was kind of one of my heroes. What happened is tragic for sure. It affected the basketball community across the world and just people in general across the world.“He definitely meant a lot to me and still does.”Bryant also meant a lot to Paul George, the Clippers’ Palmdale-raised superstar who grew to know the Lakers legend as a mentor.George currently wears No. 13, but earlier this week he said he was contemplating the idea of switching back to No. 24, which he wore for three seasons with the Indiana Pacers.“I understand what guys are doing with changing their number,” George said after Thursday’s loss to the Sacramento Kings at Staples. “I think it’s great if they retire it amongst the league, but from a personal standpoint, what better way to honor Kobe than to continue on that number? Game 4 photos: Luka Doncic, Mavs shock Clippers in overtime Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error PLAYA VISTA — Moe Harkless said his jersey switch was a no-brainer.“I think it was an easy decision, just out of respect for Kobe Bryant and his legacy,” said the new No. 11, the Clippers’ forward formerly known as No. 8. “I just feel like it was the right thing to do for me personally. Obviously, everybody has their own opinion, but for me, it was an easy decision.”Like so many players around the league, Harkless has long been inspired by Bryant, who was among nine killed Sunday in a helicopter crash in Calabasas. In the days following the tragedy, several players around the NBA personally retired the Nos. 8 and 24 they previously wore in tribute. The Dallas Mavericks announced they would retire No. 24 indefinitely.“It’s how I started really enjoying the game of basketball,” said Harkless, who grew up in Jamaica, Queens, New York. “I used to stay up late with my grandma and we only had Knicks games on TV and we had Lakers games on TV. So I would stay up late with my grandma and watch the Lakers play in the time they had Kobe and Shaq and it played a huge role in my childhood. Clippers’ Paul George: ‘If I make shots, this series could be a little different’ Clippers hope they can play to their capabilities, quell Mavericks’ momentum What the Clippers are saying the day after Luka Doncic’s game-winner tied series, 2-2 “The generation now wears 23 because of LeBron, but if they retired that number after MJ, then nobody would’ve knew that number. So I think it’s great to just think of that number still being something that guys want to wear and look forward to because of what Kobe did. So you know, for me … it’s about the first reason why I wore that number and what that number meant to me, and it’s just a daily reminder to go out there and give it everything I got.”NOT FEELING SNUBBEDGeorge will finish this season the way he started – as a six-time All-Star.He wasn’t included among the Western Conference All-Star reserves when they were announced Thursday, a development that drew no ire from the silky smooth forward, who is averaging 22.9 points, 5.9 rebounds and 3.7 assists in his first season with the Clippers.Related Articles For Lakers’ LeBron James, Jacob Blake’s shooting is bigger issue than a big Game 4 victory