Special courts to deal with rape cases may begin on October 2

first_imgNew Delhi: The process of setting up of over 1,000 fast-track special courts across the country to deal with pending cases of rape is likely to begin on October 2, the Law Ministry has said.The Department of Justice in the Law Ministry had proposed to set up 1,023 fast-track courts at a total budget of Rs 767.25 crore. The central support of Rs 474 crore for one year will be funded under the Nirbhaya Fund. The fund was announced by the Centre in 2013 after the December 16, 2012 gangrape and murder of a student in Delhi, to support the initiatives of governments and NGOs working towards the safety of women. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c detailsIn a letter to the Cabinet Secretariat on August 8, the Department of Justice has said after the recommendation of the expenditure finance committee on July 11 and approval of the law minister, the case has been forwarded to the finance minister for approval. A statement from the Women and Child Development Ministry had earlier said that in the first phase, 777 such courts may be set up in nine states, and in the second phase, 246 courts will be set up. Parliament had recently approved amendments to the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act. The law deals with the sexual abuse of children. The changes to the law include enhancement of punishment to include the death penalty for child sex abuse.last_img

Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *