1 Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera has told talkSPORT of the squad’s pride for Luke Shaw as the left-back continues his long recovery from a broken leg.The Red Devils defender, who had begun the season impressively for both club and country, suffered a double fracture in Tuesday night’s Champions League defeat to PSV which could see him sidelined for at least six months.Herrera admitted he didn’t want to see the sickening challenge because of his squeamish nature, but the Spaniard has backed Shaw to bounce back because of the 20-year-old’s positive mentality.“I couldn’t see the leg in the game because sometimes when I watch these kind of things I don’t feel too good,” Herrera told talkSPORT’s Manchester correspondent Dominic McGuinness.“Luke makes us feel proud for him and very hopeful in his recovery. He is already getting stronger and thinking about the recovery – he doesn’t want to complain anymore, he wants to think about the next step.“I think he’s a very happy guy, he’s always smiling and laughing so it makes us feel because we know he is going to recover very quick.”Herrera has carried on where he left off in his debut Premier League season last term, scoring twice in all competitions this campaign from a multitude of midfield positions.The 26-year-old has been deployed in both a deeper and a no.10 role, but he feels his versatility can help him fulfil his ambitions of making an impact at international level for Spain.He added: “I think if I play in different positions it is good also for the manager of the national team because he can select me for different positions.“It is my next step. When you arrive at United, maybe the biggest team in the world, you are fighting on all fronts, so the next step is the national team and it is my next dream.“I think I did a good first season, my first in England and at Manchester United and I was happy with my development.“Now I am doing the same, trying to give my best and trying to convince the manager of the national team that I have the quality to be there. I believe in myself and that I have the quality to do it.” Ander Herrera
Shane Long is out of the Republic of Ireland’s Euro 2016 first leg play-off match against Bosnia-Herzegovina on Friday evening.However, the 28-year-old Southampton striker has not been ruled out of the return in Dublin next Monday.Manager Martin O’Neill was keeping his fingers crossed as he met the media on Wednesday afternoon that Long, who scored the only goal in last month’s famous 1-0 qualifying victory over world champions Germany, would be fit for the game in Zenica after damaging his foot in Poland three days later.But despite making progress, the frontman will not be available for the game at the Bilino Polje Stadium.A Football Association of Ireland statement said: “Shane Long will not be involved in Friday’s first leg as he will remain at Southampton for further treatment on his ankle injury, but he has not been ruled out of next Monday’s second leg at the Aviva Stadium.”There was better news for Brentford midfielder Alan Judge, who was due to meet up with the squad in Dublin on Wednesday evening after recovering from a hamstring problem, and he will be joined by Charlton keeper Stephen Henderson following Keiren Westwood’s withdrawal.It has proved a difficult few days for Ireland’s goalkeepers with Shay Given sidelined by knee surgery and Rob Elliot, who played in Newcastle’s 1-0 win at Bournemouth on Saturday, having been ruled out of the first leg with an ongoing thigh problem. 1 The 28-year-old Southampton striker has not been ruled out of the return in Dublin next Monday
Aiden McGeady 1 Everton winger Aiden McGeady has joined Sheffield Wednesday on loan until the end of the season.The Republic of Ireland international McGeady has made just one appearance for the Toffees this term and is keen for regular first-team football ahead of Euro 2016.Everton had agreed terms for a similar deal with another unnamed Championship club, understood to be Blackburn, while Leeds had also been linked with the player.McGeady started out at Celtic and won four Scottish Premier League titles, two Scottish FA Cups and two Scottish League Cups during his six years at the club.Spartak Moscow paid Celtic £9.5million to sign McGeady in 2010 and after scoring 13 goals in 93 appearances for the Russian side he returned to the UK with Everton for an undisclosed fee in January 2014.McGeady has made 76 appearances for the Republic of Ireland since making his debut in July 2004 against Jamaica.
Mario Balotelli Mario Balotelli is expected to return to Liverpool at the end of the season, according to reports in Italy.The striker returned to AC Milan in a season-long loan deal in the summer, but the Serie A club have decided NOT to make his stay permanent when his loan expires.Balotelli has failed to make a telling impact at the San Siro this season, with a hernia operation keeping him on the sidelines for much of the campaign.Injury has restricted the 25-year-old to just ten appearances, scoring two goals, and Italian newspaper Tuttosport claim Milan have already made the decision not to offer the Italy international a full-time stay.It is claimed Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani has instead set his sights on Genoa forward Leonardo Pavoletti as an alternative.It means the former Manchester City frontman will either have to force his way into Jurgen Klopp’s plans at Anfield or move on again. 1
Tottenham legend Ledley King has described starlet Dele Alli as an ‘unbelievable’ player, crediting Mauricio Pochettino for the youngster’s impressive rise.The 19-year-old signing from MK Dons has played a key role in the north Londoners’ impressive campaign, leading to international recognition with England.The midfielder has made a stunning step up from League One to the elite level, scoring eight goals in 42 appearances for club and country this season.Spurs are second in the Premier League heading into a ‘huge’ derby at home to Arsenal, who will be without Petr Cech and Laurent Koscielny.The former defender and fan favourite told Drivetime of Alli: “He’s been unbelievable.“To make the step up he has done in the Premier League, even on the international stage with England, speaks volumes about the player and his confidence.“But also the manager of Tottenham, being able to let him go out and feel so confident and to be able to play the kind of stuff he is playing.“He is a big player for us, hopefully he’s got a big performance in him and hopefully he can make the difference.”
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The Associated Press MONTEREY – A firefighter has died of injuries received in a bulldozer rollover while battling a Monterey County blaze. Matthew Will was operating the bulldozer in a steep, rural area of the county Monday afternoon when the vehicle rolled into a ravine. The 30-year-old was flown to San Jose Regional Medical Center in serious condition, and died Tuesday morning. The 47-acre fire off Palo Colorado Road is now fully contained. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityThe blaze started in a garage of the home, but no other structures were damaged. The cause of the fire and the rollover is under investigation.
Eden Hazard is back!The Chelsea winger has been off form for most of the season and failed to find the back of the net since in the top-flight this campaign – until now.Against Bournemouth, the Belgian picked up a Cesc Fabregas pass and fired the ball home with his right foot after 34 minutes.The strike was his first in the Premier League since May 3, when his goal gave the Blues a 1-0 victory over Crystal Palace, securing the title.Chelsea fans took to Twitter to react to the shock moment and you can see some of the best reaction below… Chelsea players celebrate with Eden Hazard 1
England opened their Euro 2016 campaign with a 1-1 draw with Russia with Vasili Berezutski grabbing a late equaliser while a Gareth Bale inspired Wales got up and running with a 2-1 win over Slovakia.There’s also reaction to Eddie Jones’ England rugby union side winning 38-29 down under against Australia as well as reaction from Wales and Ireland’s respective tours of New Zealand and South Africa.All brought to you by Dan Windle and the team.
The American people no longer support the war in Iraq. The war is being carried on by a stubborn president who, like Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon during the Vietnam War, does not want to lose. But from the beginning this has been an ill-considered and poorly prosecuted war that, like the Vietnam War, has diminished respect for America. We believe Mr. Bush would like to drag the war on long enough to hand it off to another president. The war in Iraq reminds us of the tragedy of the Vietnam War. Both wars began with false assertions by the president to the American people and the Congress. Like Vietnam, the Iraq war has introduced a new vocabulary: “shock and awe,” “mission accomplished,” “the surge.” Like Vietnam, we have destroyed cities in order to save them. It is not a strategy for success. The Bush administration has attempted to forestall ending the war by putting in more troops, but more troops will not solve the problem. We have lost the hearts and minds of most of the Iraqi people, and victory no longer seems to be even a remote possibility. It is time to end our occupation of Iraq, and bring our troops home. This war has had only limited body counts. There are reports that more than 2million Iraqis have died in the war. These reports cannot be corroborated because the U.S. military does not make public the number of the Iraqi dead and injured. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champThere are also reports that some 4million Iraqis have been displaced and are refugees either abroad or within their own country. Iraqis with the resources to leave the country have left. They are frightened. They don’t trust the U.S., its allies or its mercenaries to protect them and their interests. We know more about the body counts of American soldiers in Iraq. Some 4,000 American soldiers have been killed in this war, about a third more than the number of people who died in the terrorist attacks of 9-11. And some 28,000 American soldiers have suffered debilitating injuries. Many more have been affected by the trauma of war in ways that they will have to live with for the rest of their lives – ways that will have serious effects not only on their lives and the lives of their loved ones, but on society as a whole. Due to woefully inadequate resources being provided, our injured soldiers are not receiving the medical treatment and mental health care that they deserve. What the war has accomplished is the undermining of U.S. credibility throughout the world, the weakening of our military forces, and the erosion of our Bill of Rights. Nobel Laureate economist Joseph Stiglitz calculates that the war is costing American taxpayers more than $1trillion. This amount could double if we continue the war. Each minute we are spending $500,000 in Iraq. Our losses are incalculable. It is time to remove our military forces from Iraq. We must ask ourselves whether continuing to pursue this war is benefiting the American people or weakening us. We must ask whether continuing the war is benefiting the Iraqi people or inflicting greater suffering upon them. We believe the answer to these inquiries is that both the American and Iraqi people would benefit by ending the U.S. military presence in Iraq. Moving forward is not complicated, but it will require courage. Step one is to proceed with the rapid withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq and hand over the responsibility for the security of Iraq to Iraqi forces. Step two is to remove our military bases from Iraq and to turn Iraqi oil over to Iraqis. Step three is to provide resources to the Iraqis to rebuild the infrastructure that has been destroyed in the war. Congress must act. Although Congress never declared war, as required by the Constitution, it did give the president the authority to invade Iraq. Congress must now withdraw that authority and cease its funding of the war. It is not likely, however, that Congress will act unless the American people make their voices heard with unmistakable clarity. That is the way the Vietnam War was brought to an end. It is the way that the Iraq war will also be brought to an end. The only question is whether it will be now, or whether the war will drag on, with all the suffering that implies, to an even more tragic, costly and degrading defeat. We will be a better, stronger and more decent country to bring the troops home now. Walter Cronkite is the former longtime anchor for CBS Evening News. David Krieger is president of the Nuclear Age Peace Foundation.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime said shoppers who pay the full price for an out-of-stock Wii on Dec. 20 and 21 at retailer GameStop will receive a certificate promising the device “sometime in January,” according to published reports. Some local GameStop stores reported receiving no calls yet for the rain checks. But in Burbank, Jose Obando said he would rather wait to buy a Wii than subject himself to long lines and cold temperatures. “I’ve wanted it for a long time,” he said as he left the Best Buy in Burbank, where the only remnants of the roughly 200 early morning Wii shoppers were empty doughnut boxes and coffee cups outside the store’s entrance. Obando, who lives in Sun Valley, said one man tried to sell him a Wii for $100 more than the sticker price – a good deal compared to those currently sold on eBay. As of late Sunday, the price for some brand-new Wii consoles with up to 14 games listed on the online auction site had reached nearly $650 among bidders. But Obando resisted. “Frankly, I’m in no hurry,” he said. “I’ll just get it after Christmas.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WOODLAND HILLS – After hunkering down for hours in 35-degree overnight temperatures, Kyle Shook emerged victorious from a local Best Buy on Sunday. He was one of the first at the store to get his hands on the increasingly popular yet elusive Nintendo Wii. Shook, 21, had hunted for the game for months because he wanted to give one to his 9-year-old brother for Christmas, he said. He repeatedly called electronics retailers asking if they had the game in stock with no luck. So when he heard that 65 were available at Best Buy in Woodland Hills and that doors would open at 6 a.m., he resolved to give it one last try, setting up camp outside the store about 1 a.m. “It was pretty frickin’ cold,” said Shook, who lives in Canoga Park. “I got some blankets and my girlfriend and we just snuggled.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champLike Shook, hundreds gathered in those lines around the San Fernando Valley, where electronic stores offered a golden window of opportunity to purchase a limited supply of the game, which has emerged as the hottest item of the holiday season. Wii, which currently sells for $249.99, includes hand-held wireless controllers that allow the players to mime movements for 10-pin bowling, tennis, boxing, golf and baseball. Its popularity has taken off recently since it was released nearly a year ago, surprising manufacturers. Nintendo officials have said in published reports that the company hasn’t been able to manufacture the systems fast enough to meet consumer demand. So far, about 6 million units have been sold since it was launched in the United States. Nintendo announced last week it would give “rain checks” to shoppers who can’t buy the game console during the holiday season because of shortages.